We all do it, and often we do it at some of the most inappropriate times, like when everyone else is quiet at weddings you know just when the bride is about to say I do out comes that loud bark of a cough from our mouth.
But why do we cough and what can we do about coughing? Taking a closer look into different kinds of coughs and natural home remedies for cough can help make life a little easier.
So, what is a cough anyway?
A cough is your bodys way of responding to irritants in your throat and airways. Heres how it works, according to the Mayo Clinic: An irritant stimulates nerves there to send a cough impulse to your brain. The brain signals the muscles of your abdomen and chest wall to give a strong push of air to your lungs to try to expel the irritant.
An occasional cough is normal and healthy and everyone gets a cough from time to time. However, a cough that persists for several weeks or one that brings up discolored or bloody mucus may indicate an underlying condition that requires medical attention.
A cough can have a lot of force behind it a vigorous cough can push air through the nearly closed vocal cords at speeds that can approach 500 miles per hour! So its no wonder that prolonged bouts of strenuous coughing can be exhausting, interfere with our sleep, cause headaches, urinary incontinence, and even broken ribs.
And one cough can be very different from another cough. In a lot of ways, a cough is your body trying to correct a problem, so its important to know what the underlying problem is and what you should be doing about it.
Different types of cough
There are generally about four different types of coughs that you should be aware of: Dry cough, whooping cough, croup cough and wet cough. All of these coughs have a different sound and by listening to what your cough sounds like, you will be in a better position to know what to do about it. Lets break it down further.
Cough remedies for grown-ups are not a whole lot different from kids. Here are some good ones to try:
- Simple things like taking honey can be effective in treating coughs and sore throats. Adding honey to other things like lemon juice or hot liquids can also boost the benefits to taking these.
- Speaking of hot liquids, tea can also be used to help reduce coughs. Herbal teas are a better way to go than black teas when fighting a cough try teas like thyme or peppermint.
- Other things that you may not normally eat can help with coughs. One surprising thing is licorice. Licorice can soothe inflammation in your throat and ease coughing.
- Adding lemon and ginger can also help you to take care of a cough. Ginger has antihistamines that will help your body with decongestion. Lemon can soothe a sore and irritated throat.
- Onions make powerful cough medicine, too, because of their quercetin, an antioxidant found in large amounts in the humble onion. Studies at the University of Maryland Medical Center have found that quercetin supports healthy cholesterol, can reduce blood pressure in those with hypertension, and can act as an antihistamine and anti-inflammatory.
Make a cough syrup by cutting up a red onion and placing it in a jar. Pour honey over it and let it rest for eight to 12 hours. The syrup is your natural cough suppressant, and it tastes better than it sounds!
When you should see a doctor
Everybody coughs, but its when a cough keeps hanging on, you should pay close attention because it may signal that there could be a bigger health concern. Normally, a cough can last up to about three weeks.
But if you are continuing to cough for a period thats much longer, it could mean theres something else going on. When it comes to children, if a cough continues for four weeks or more, it could mean that there is another health issue involved as well.
Its important to know what your body is trying to tell you. By paying attention to your coughs, identifying the difference between the types of coughs, and applying some natural home remedies for coughs you can help your body fight the irritant and hopefully recover more quickly and fully.
Another nice perk is that you can also cut down on the embarrassment factor at the next wedding or event.
4 surprising ways to treat your cold
From pesky sniffles to sore throats, to feeling so ill you dont even want to leave your bed, a virus can really take a toll. Heres what you can do.
Fight bacterial infections naturally with these foods and herbs
Strep throat, tuberculosis, urinary tract infections (UTI) when your immune system isnt in top shape, youre more prone to bacterial infections like these. For people with chronic illness with compromised immunity or for seniors, where aging alone means immunity isnt as strong as it once was, these infections take hold more easily. Read more here.