I came down with the cold/flu at the beginning of the year and it was miserable! I had a sore throat, body aches, chills, congestion, was beyond tired, and couldn’t take any medicine to help because I was pregnant. Cody had to take two days off work to stay home to take care of Hazel, and my mom also took two days off of work so she could come down and take care of me and Hazel while Cody went to work. To help me fight the cold/flu, I turned to my friends on Instagram for suggestions on natural remedies that were safe during pregnancy. The suggestions were amazing. Within 24 hours, my sore throat had lessened, and my chills and body aches were gone. I was still tired and felt drained if I tried to get up and do anything, but these natural remedies were miracle workers on my other symptoms. I thought I’d put all of the suggestions into a blog post so 1) I can refer back to this post the next time I get sick, and 2) you guys can use these remedies when you get sick.
- Honey and Lemon Tea: Mix water, a spoon full of honey, and a couple teaspoons of lemon juice. It will help soothe your throat, boost your immune system, and give you some extra vitamin C.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: The benefits of drinking apple cider vinegar are endless. In regards to the cold/flu, it will help with a sore throat, cough, fever, etc. You can take a shot of it or read the next tip for a tea recipe.
- Apple Cider Vinegar, Honey, Lemon Tea: You can add cayenne pepper and cinnamon too. It’s great for congestion, sore throat, cough, etc.
- Tea Tree Oil: Diffuse it to help reduce symptoms of the cough or cold.
- Garlic: It has natural antibiotics to help fight the cold and flu. Cook them up and eat them straight, make a garlic soup, or blend garlic with some milk to drink.
- Neti Pot: Cody gets really bad sinus infections and swears by this. From what everyone says, it’s completely safe for pregnancy as long as you use it as directed.
- Colloidal Silver: It has antibacterial and immune booting benefits. It can also be used for wound care or skin conditions like eczema, to help with pink eye and ear infections, and it’s a natural anti-inflammatory.
- Elderberry Syrup: It keeps your respiratory and immune system healthy, and has antiviral properties. It also helps prevents cancer, lowers blood sugar, eases allergies, is a natural diuretic, and gives you healthy skin.
- Thieves Oil: Rub a drop or two on the bottom of your feet, diffuse it, mix it with water to create a tea (gargle or drink it). Thieves is amazing at killing bacteria and strengthen your immune system!
- Oregano oil: It’s antibacterial, antiviral, and stimulates your immune system. It’s great for sinus and respiratory issues.
- Immunity roller: Oregano, frankincense, lavender, lemon, thieves in a roller bottle with a carrier oil. You can make this roller for the whole family!
- Healing Bath: Pour ½ cup coconut oil, ¼ cup baking soda, and a few drops of lavender oil in a bath tub to help with body aches. Make sure you don’t make your bath water too hot for the baby.
*As always, check with your doctor first to make sure everything is ok for you to take.
If you’re interested in the essential oils I use, they’re Young Living. I ordered the starter kit ($160) which comes with 11 of the most popular oils, plus a diffuser and other samples. It’s really such a great deal! To get the essential oils starter kit for yourself, go here and select Member. This gives you 24% off which is definitely the best deal. There are no requirements or obligations but it gives you wholesale pricing for a year if you want it. When you click “next,” it will have you confirm that I referred you, and then you pick your kit (the standard one with dewdrop diffuser is already selected). Or if you just want to buy the oils separately, you can email me
If you have any other natural remedies for the cold/flu, please share them in the comments