Coconut water kefir is basically fermented coconut water. It is an unbelievably rich probiotic drink that also contains really high amounts of vitamins, minerals, and electrolytes. The vitamin and mineral content of coconut water includes beta carotene, Riboflavin, Thiamin, Niacin, pantothenic acid, folates and vitamins A,B6, C, E and K. Whats more important and why its considered better than regular kefir is the fact it doesnt contain the problematic substances that regular dairy has such as casein and lactose. This just means that your body will process these probiotic benefits better. Coconut water kefir is believed to be the most beneficial probiotic beverage because it has a much more potent effect on the digestive system than any dairy probiotic food such as yogurt.
As we know, dairy is acid forming and not a lot of people can handle it. Additionally, the main minerals or electrolytes in coconut water are the same as those found in human blood.
Health Benefits of coconut water kefir
- Stops sugar cravings
- Strengthens the immune system
- Aids in digestion
- Enhances hydration
- Increases energy
- Clears the skin
- More efficient metabolism
- Destroys pathogenic yeasts in the body
- Improves vision
- Great source of dietary minerals such as natural sodium, chloride, and potassium
- Has a cleansing effect on the endocrine system
- Eases PMS
How to Make Coconut Water Kefir
There are three ways to make your own coconut water kefir:
- Use existing kefir as a starter
- Use a kefir starter culture
- Use kefir grains
This is my favorite method. I think making water kefir with grains is the way to go. Fist you will need kefir grains (either water or milk kefir grains). You can buy grains here. This method is more economical since the grains multiply fast which means youll always have them on hand.
- 7 cups fresh coconut water
- 5 tablespoons water kefir grains
- Add 8 cups of coconut water to your 1/2 gallon jar.
- Place the water kefir grains in the coconut water. Cover loosely and let it sit for 48 hours (not longer). Do not let it ferment too long; it might explode.
- Once fermented, coconut water will become cloudy and lighter in color. The kefir grains will rise up to the top when they are done culturing. When the culturing process is complete, remove the kefir grains. Grains can be used immediately for a new batch or you can store them in water in the refrigerator.
Thats it! So easy but so good for you!
Article originally published on LivingTraditionally.com republished with permission