Short sleeves and skirts are approaching, and I don’t know about you, but my skin has seen better days. I made this amazing-smelling green tea coconut oil scrub to slough off dry Winter skin while hydrating at the same time.
There’s not a lot of science about the positive effects of green tea on your skin, but it’s commonly used topically in Japan to soothe and heal the skin. Sounds good to me! I use two types of green tea in this scrub: brewed green tea and matcha. You don’t have to use both, but I think the matcha makes it a really terrific green color.
You can use sugar or salt in this scrub, depending on your skin type. Sugar is gentler and can be used on your face, while salt is more abrasive and should only be used on the body.
This is the perfect use for that jar of coconut oil that you bought that smells or tastes a little bit too much like coconut to use in your cooking. The coconut scent is really light and lovely on your skin.
Green Tea Coconut Oil Scrub
- 1 green tea bag
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1/4 teaspoon matcha powder
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup salt or sugar
- Brew a strong cup of green tea with the tea bag and the water. Let it cool to room temperature or refrigerate.
- Combine the oil, sugar and matcha in a medium bowl and stir well to combine. Add 1/8 cup of the cooled green tea and mix well. If not using the matcha, add the remaining 1/8 cup of green tea.
- Store in an airtight container and use in the shower to gently exfoliate your skin.
- If using salt, please do not use as a face scrub. Use on body only. Use 1-2 times per week.
- If using sugar, please use on your face only 1-2 times per week, and on your body no more than 3 times per week.