Abdominal pain or stomach cramps are not that uncommon and can occur for various reasons. The most common reasons are stomach gases, food poisoning, indigestion and diarrhea. In some cases the abdominal pain may happen due to ulcers, liver problems, menstrual problems, etc.
The abdominal pain usually affects both left and right side of the stomach, as well as the area around and below the navel, but it may also occur while urinating, straining and even breathing. Of course, in some women, this kind of pain may be an early pregnancy symptom.
You do not have to go to a pharmacy and buy various painkillers to alleviate the pain. The medication you need is already in your kitchen.
Abdominal pain is a common health problem that affects people of all ages and occurs for many different reasons. There are several causes of sharp, severe or mild abdominal pain. The most common ones are indigestion, food poisoning, food allergy, ulcer, constipation, stomach virus, gases, discus hernia, Crohn’s disease, urinary tract infections, appendicitis and many others. If the pain you have is too sharp and acute, you should consult your doctor immediately. If you want to ease the pain as soon as possible, do not hesitate to use some of the home remedies listed below. This article will reveal the best natural home remedies that treat stomach cramps effectively.
Natural Remedies for Cramps
Peppermint relieves the stomach pain very effectively. Chew a few peppermint leaves or make a tea if you suffer from this kind of problem.
- Take 1 cup of water, boil it and add a few peppermint leaves.
- Cook it for a few minutes, strain and wait until it cools down a little bit, then drink the tea.
- Take one aloe Vera leaf, peel off the skin and remove the gel.
- Put aloe Vera gel and 1 l of cold water in a blender and mix.
- If you prefer sweet taste, add 2 tablespoons of honey, or to taste.
This juice is especially helpful when it comes to diarrhea, constipation, stomach gases, cramps and bloating.
Treating the painful area with warm compress relieves the pain easily. If you do not have a hot water bottle, you can use a cotton cloth and rice.
- Take 1 cup of cooked rice and put it in a cotton cloth.
- Place it on the painful stomach area, and secure it with a scarf. Do not tie the cloth too tightly.
- If the compress is too hot, let it cool for a minute or two.
Feel free to add a few dried lavender or chamomile flowers.
Probiotics are good bacteria that improve the functioning of the digestive system and stop the growth of harmful germs, viruses and bacteria in the stomach. If you have a stomachache, increase the intake of probiotics. One of the best probiotics is yogurt.
- 1 cup of yogurt
- 1 cup of water
- a pinch of salt
- cardamom powder, to taste
- ground coriander, to taste
- Mix yogurt and water together and add a little salt.
- Add ground coriander and cardamom powder to improve the taste.
- Drink this mixture after each meal, and you will feel a significant improvement after a while.
Hydrochloric acid breaks down food and stimulates digestion. Lemon juice stimulates the production of stomach acid and therefore improves digestion. In addition, lemon juice hydrates the organism, which is another important step in the elimination of abdominal pain. There are many ways to prepare the lemon juice remedy.
- If you prefer sweet taste, put lemon juice in a glass of warm water and add a little honey.
- If you prefer salty taste, add a bit of salt in juice, instead of honey.
You can also add mint juice and a few drops of ginger juice for even better results.
Baking soda is one of the substances called antacids. Antacid is sodium bicarbonate, which has the ability to cure the stomach problems. Dissolve a tablespoon of baking soda in warm water and drink it immediately in order to get instant results.
- Take 2 tablespoons of baking soda and mix it in a glass of water.
- Add a little lime juice and a pinch of salt.
- Drink all at once.
Baking soda neutralizes the stomach acid effects when taken with food.
Since it has anti-inflammatory properties and many other health benefits, ginger is very effective when it comes to the stomach pain. Ginger contains gingerol and shogaol, a compound that cleanses the intestines and relieves stomach pain. You can use it in various ways, but fresh ginger is the best solution when it comes to abdominal pain.
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of grater ginger
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Bring water to a boil and add finely grated ginger.
- Cook for a few minutes, then remove from heat and strain.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey, or to taste and enjoy.
If you do not like spicy foods, you may try out ginger in the form of various supplements that can be found in most health food stores.
In India, it is tradition to chew fennel seeds after a meal, in order to help digestion. They are loaded with anethole, essential oil which treats inflammation, cramps and gas. It is recommended to chew a tablespoon of these seeds after each meal, but there is another way.
- Bring 1 liter of water to a boil and add 1 ½ tablespoons of fennel seeds.
- Cook the fennel seeds for a few minutes, then remove from heat and cover the pot.
- Wait 8 to 10 minutes, strain and your fennel seed tea is ready.
Ajwain fruit pods, often mistakenly called ajwain seeds, are great for treating abdominal pain. Fibers and minerals that this plant contains alleviate gas, nausea and bloating, because they kill the pathogenic bacteria that create these problems. Just like fennel seeds, this plant can also be chewed after every meal, especially after heavy food.
- Put 1 tablespoon of ajwain fruit pods in 1 cup of boiled water and cook for several minutes.
- Wait until it cools down and drink all at once.
Apple cider vinegar
If you are drinking vinegar every day or whenever you have a stomachache, you can alleviate the problem. The acetic acid contained in it treats gas and indigestion very successfully. This powerful vinegar also kills harmful bacteria.
- Add a few tablespoons of unprocessed apple cider vinegar in a glass of water.
- Drink regularly before each meal to improve digestion.